Saturday, 6 May 2017

Author Interview - Tim Atkinson

What's your name? 

Tim Atkinson. I think. Although I’ve been known by others (some of which are unrepeatable…)


What's the title of your most recent/forthcoming book? 

The Glorious Dead. Although for most of its existence it was ‘Known unto God’ (after the phrase from Ecclesiastes chosen by Rudyard Kipling for the graves of unknown soldiers). Names can be difficult.

Describe the book in under 100 words.

What happened when the Great War ended and the guns stopped firing? Who cleared the battlefields and buried the dead? And why did so many men who served and survived stay on amid the ruins of the war they’d fought? The answers are darker and more complex than you think.

Describe the book in under 10 words.

A World War One tale with a twist.



What is your favourite book and why?

I'm tempted to say ‘the one I’m reading’ (which is, since you ask - Do No Harm by Henry Marsh). But if it’s defined by the author I re-read most then, probably, Regeneration by Pat Barker (see below, and then below that!).

Who is your favourite author and why?

Pat Barker. Why? Her unflinching eye for even the most distressing detail, plus a depth of psychological understanding that is hard to beat (in my opinion).

Name a book that you wish you'd written and why?

The Regeneration Trilogy. (Can I claim all three of them? Oh, go on!) The breadth of scope combined with sometimes forensic detail makes for compelling reading.

Describe a typical writing day for you.

I’m afraid there are no typical days. Some start with insomnia at three a.m. and begin with notes on my phone before making it downstairs to the computer. Others hardly start at all until the kids are safely bathed and put to bed.

What's your biggest frustration as a writer? 

Would it be immodest to say agents/publishers? I’ve had so much positive feedback (which may, of course, be flannel) without ever quite getting that glorious nod of acceptance and admittance into the hallowed halls of regular writer-dom. Until Unbound came along, that is.

How do people find out more about you? 

I’m a social media tart and can be found all over the place. Start with my blog - www.bringingupcharlie.co.uk - and maybe Twitter (@dotterel) and before long I’ll have drawn you in to Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AuthorTimAtkinson/ Instagram, Tumblr and probably Soundcloud as well!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having me Stevyn! And for the record (in case and Goodreads friends are reading) I finished Do No Harm a while ago. I'm reading Catullus' Bedspread now. It's very. very good.

    ReplyDelete